Epic Kayaks

Saturday, October 17, 2015

North Shore Cup

I had an awesome day of racing at the North Shore Cup in Summerton, SC today. The conditions were brutal! I heard it was a race on a lake; so I mistakenly figured I could get away with my sprint boat. Big mistake! I got a clean start; we started in an inlet protected from the wind and waves. I took off with a hard sprint, but the waves began to build as I headed out towards the hot-spot. I felt my pace dropping and the rhythm in my stroke breaking as I saved my butt on a few hard braces. Shortly after the hot-spot, we rounded a buoy and headed with the wind and waves. I caught rides as best I could in my narrow little sprint boat, but for the most part, I spent more time bracing than I did paddling.

It was insane! I've never seen such a rough lake. But on the bright side, I've also never surfed a sprint boat as hard as I did here. My mantras for the day: "Stay in the boat, stay in the boat" and "Harden up, harden up." This was a whole new type of race; I felt like it was me against the elements. I kept giggling to myself about how silly I was to try and do this in a sprint boat - the runs I could have gotten on these waves in a surfski! I truly missed out in that reguard. I sacrificed my shoulders with aggressive braces and saves; those muscles were completely beat by the end - "just stay in the boat, just keep moving forward." Somehow I miraculously kept myself upright, or the very least, slightly above horizontal. In the last mile, we approached the protected shore, and I have NEVER been happier to see flat water. With one mile to go, I took off for a final sprint to get across the finish line in first. So thankful I stayed in the boat.

This races was incredibly fun, and one of the biggest races I've seen on the east coast. There were 10 women in the 12 mile race! Enough for us to have our own start. That's insane! Thanks to all the guys who helped put on such a great event. This is a great race; one I will definitely do again in the future. Check out their site! http://www.northshorepaddlerace.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment